Spiders

Spider bites facts

Most spiders are harmless; the two exceptions in the U.S. are the black widow and brown recluse spiders.

Spider bites are actually rare occurrences, and most presumed cases of spider bites are likely due to another condition that mimics the symptoms of a spider bite.

Bites from most (non-poisonous) spiders cause local redness, irritation, and pain that usually can be treated at home.

Always seek emergency medical care for a presumed black widow or brown recluse spider bite.

What are the symptoms of spider bites?

Bites from most (non-poisonous) spiders cause local redness, irritation, and pain that usually can be treated at home using an over-the-counter pain reliever along with application of cooling packs or a wet cloth to relieve swelling. These local reactions usually resolve without treatment over a period of 7-10 days. Rarely, an individual can have an allergic reaction to a spider bite, even to a bite from a non-poisonous spider, but allergic reactions are more likely to be due to contact with a spider than from a spider bite.

Here are some examples